Sunday, August 5, 2012

Things I have learned: Further's A/C

I considered calling this "A/C Chronicles" but decided to be optimistic. I hope to only feel compelled to write about air conditioning on Further this one time. God willing.

We are back at the La Quinta. Around noon yesterday, we noticed that Further was getting hotter... well, you want me to start at the beginning, don't you?

While we were still in Phoenix, Further's A/C system had some work done to it. We paid the bill. The marina had subcontracted with a new repairman because Mr. Tried-n-True couldn't come right away. I'm not sure why it mattered, since we weren't there anyway, but I guess it did.

What we didn't know is that Further has two A/C systems. Only one of them got worked on: the one in the salon. The system that cooled the two bedrooms was never touched. So, of course, it broke down after we had been sleeping on the boat for a couple of weeks. For a week, Tom and I and the dogs lived and slept in the salon - a room the size of our master bedroom back in the house in Peoria. The couch is L-shaped; I got the shorter part. It was okay - we lived through it because we knew that Mr. Tried and True had been called this time and that he was coming to rescue us.

When he came, the dogs and I left. When we came back, the A/C in the bedrooms was working. We slept in our bed for the first time in a week. Then we noticed that Further was getting hotter... We watched in disbelief as the breaker switched itself off repeatedly after we tried several solutions. Nothing worked. Tom and the electrician from the marina worked on it all afternoon, but there was no joy on Further. It was 4 pm on Friday. Mr. Tried and True was called again and persuaded to come work on the salon unit on his day off. Tom and the dogs and I headed to La Quinta.

We spent a blissfully cool night and Tom left at 8:30 am on Saturday to meet Mr. Tried and True at Further. I sat down at the computer to write this blog and spent the next hour playing Spider Solitaire. I took the dogs out for their second walk and sat down at the computer to write this blog. I watched the last half of a movie on TV with Jesse Eisenberg who was playing an Orthodox Jew who was a drug mule and peddler. I sat down at the computer to write this blog and Tom called. Still no joy on Further. I called La Quinta's front desk and told them we'd be staying another night. I sat down and, finally, started writing this blog.

Fifteen minutes later, Tom walked into the motel room and said they had been able to fix the A/C after all. We still spent the night at the La Quinta while waiting for Further to cool down. We're now preparing to go back to Further. We anticipate that she will be cool.

The end?

No comments:

Post a Comment